Today was a great day to not have to go anywhere.
There was a lot of rain, crazy 100 mph wind gusts, and even a little snow. I couldn’t even think about taking the bus anywhere, since there was a rather large tree down along the route from here into town. So what could I do? I took a really long bath and a two hour nap. Maternity leave (sans baby) is awesome.
Also I waited for packages. Amazon Prime UK promises overnight delivery! Which apparently means that if you order something on Monday, it shows up on Thursday. Broken. Forgive me if I don’t take your drone delivery plan very seriously, Amazon.
But that was just today. Here’s what I’ve done so far with my (one week and counting of) maternity leave:
1. Finally painted four of our eight new Ikea dining chairs. They look fabulous, if I do say so myself. And the total cost of each was under £20. (Pre-painted dining chairs are really expensive, and I was feeling pretty crafty three months ago.) However, each one required a coat of primer and two coats of paint, which was a slightly more labor-intensive activity than I was hoping for at this stage in the game. I’m sure the remaining four will look equally great. Once I get around to painting them. Which will probably be sometime in 2016.
2. Ordered nursery decorations. Some of which have arrived unbroken.
3. Took lots of naps. I’d rather get more than four hours of sleep at night – because there’s really not that much else to do during that sixteen or so hour stretch of uninterrupted darkness – but a nap is better than, say, a kick in the ribs. Or a head butt to the pelvis. Or the shooting pains in my hips every time I
stand up move. Or any of the other increasingly painful indignities that go along with being awake these days.
4. Washed lots of tiny baby clothes. Well, I get the wash done okay, but then I can’t really bend over to get into the dryer. But I get everything started, which is the most important part. (Drying clothes is overrated anyway.)
5. Yeah, that’s about it.
6. Hmmm. We just got a new TV. Any good movies on Netflix? TV shows that I should have started watching four seasons ago? I have some time to kill…